We arrived in Vancouver having taken a 7-day cruise through the Inside Passage. With just one day in Vancouver we got an early start, as there was much to do!
We rented a car from Hertz, located in the car park under the Fairmont Pacific Rim Hotel – a few minutes walk from the cruise terminal.
A quick stop at the nearby Tourism Vancouver Visitor Centre gave us some invaluable tips on how to spend our day.
Top 3 things to do in Vancouver if you have one day:
- Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour – there are two routes: a green and a blue route. The green route was our favourite – through Robson, Stanley Park, West End, Kitsilano, Granville Island, China Town and Gastown. The blue route is through the downtown area and also includes Yaletown, China Town, Gastown.
- Grouse Mountain (free shuttle from downtown): take a gondola to the top of the mountain – views, shows, two grizzly bears, a lumberjack show, bird shows, three restaurants, gift shops, zip line, parachuting. Open all year round.
- Capilano – Suspension Bridge Park – cliff walk, tree top walk.
Grouse Mountain and Capilano Suspension Bridge Park are located on the same highway – so easy to do.
If you have more time in Vancouver, we would also recommend:
- Cycle in Stanley Park
- Day trip to Whistler
- Day trip to Victoria on Vancouver Island
The day trips can be booked at the Visitor Information Centre.
Our favourite places in Vancouver:
- Stanley Park – there is a one-way road around Stanley Park with many stops along the way for photos of the city, Totem Poles, etc.
- The West End – an attractive beachfront area
- Kitsilano – charming houses in tree lined streets
- Granville Island –an area of theatres, art galleries, gift shops and the wonderful Public Market – with fruit, vegetables, meat, delicatessens, etc. We had a delicious lunch at Sprig in the food hall.
- China Town and Gastown
26 May 2018