The charming island of Sifnos is a highlight of our Greek island-hopping itinerary.
We stayed in Apallonia, the small capital of Sifnos. It has a great selection of restaurants and shops and makes an ideal base to explore the island. Our accommodation is the highly recommended Arhontou Hotel – in walking distance to the shops and restaurants in Appalonia.
We recommend renting a car to explore the island – we rented from Apollo Rentals conveniently located in Apallonia.
Our suggestions on what to see and do on Sifnos:
- Apallonia – the capital of Sifnos – charming, traditional, white-washed Greek village. The centre is pedestrian only. A great selection of restaurants (we loved Drakakis). We loved ‘Steno’ – the main pedestrianised shopping street with many boutiques selling excellent quality jewellery, clothing and gifts – upmarket. Our favourite shopping street in all of Greece.
- Kastro – the old capital of Sifnos is a small village located on a hill and on the edge of steep cliffs overlooking the Aegean Sea – stroll through the charming, narrow streets, don’t miss the cliff walk with views of the Church of Agios Konstantinos. Some lovely boutiques and excellent restaurants.
- Church of Panagia Chrissopigi: Perched on a rock overlooking the sea, this iconic church is one of the most photographed spots on the island. The view from here is stunning, especially during sunset.
- Kamarai – the port for Sifnos and your first stop on the island. There are many restaurants along water’s edge, pottery shops, car hire, and a good beach nearby.
- Cheronissos – take the scenic drive out to Cheronissos – a small fishing village and the northernmost beach on the island. There are a couple of lovely traditional tavernas on the water. It is 15kms from Apallonia.
- Vathi – one of our favourite places on Sifnos – just before the road drops down into Vathy there is a fabulous view of the picturesque bay where you will find wonderful waterside tavernas, some excellent accommodation and lovely sandy swimming beach. It is 10kms from Apallonia.
- Glipho Beach, Faros
- Artemonas: Another picturesque village, Artemonas is known for its neoclassical architecture and beautiful gardens. There are a few good restaurants in the village. On our visit the few boutiques were closed.
Sifnos was one of our favourite islands in Greece. Don’t miss it!
Take a look at our Greek itinerary slideshow
The next island we visit is Serifos.
23-26 May 2023
Best Month of Your Life