Serifos is a beautiful, rocky, rugged island in the western Cyclades.
We arrived by ferry into the lively little port of Livadi – the main village on the island. It is a small village located on a picturesque bay where tavernas, cafe and shops line the waterfront with the white-washed capital of Chora high above.
Our host met us at the wharf and drove us to our accommodation – Astarti Apartments – it was actually a short walk from the centre of Livadi in an area called Livadakia but we had a lot of luggage! Our accommodation was a small one-bedroom apartment with two daybeds in the living area. Nearby is the beach of Avlomonas.
There are beautifully scenic drives on Serifos – fabulous vistas from roads that wind over the rugged mountainous landscape.
Our suggestions on what to see and do on Serifos:
- Livadi – this is where you find the main services on the island and numerous tavernas and cafes where you can enjoy a meal by the bay – try Kalis (seafood), Bakakaki (meat), Ydrolithos (a little more expensive), Thalami or Takis restaurants, Porto Vecchio (Italian). Beaches you can walk to close by are Livadakia and Paralia Livadi.
- Rent a car from Blue Bird in Livadi (rentacar-bluebird.gr) – ask for a map of the island. The main roads on the island are bitumen and in good condition. The views are spectacular.
- Chora – walk or drive up the steep road to visit beautiful, authentic Chora. From the carpark, climb the stairs of the narrow streets to admire the typical Cyclades white-washed houses, restaurants, cafes, bars and a few pretty gift shops. Climb up to the church of Agios Konstantinos for breathtaking views. Visit the picture-postcard marble paved square of Piatsa to see the beautiful Town Hall and pretty cafes.
- Take the scenic drive to Megalo Livadi passing Koutala Bay and Ganema Beach.
- Enjoy lunch at one of the two tavernas at Megalo Livadi – both overlook the beach. We had a delicious lunch at 1916 Tavern.
- From Megalo Livadi we drove over the top of the island – stunning views, wildflowers, chapels.
- Visit the beautiful beaches of Agios Sostis, Pisni Amos and Agios Ioanis.
- Lia Chapel and Skopiani Chapel – both popular for weddings.
- Taxiathon Monastery.
Serifos is a beautiful island with good beaches, spectacular drives and great restaurants.
Take a look at our Greek itinerary slideshow
The next island on our trip is Syros.
26 & 27 May 2023
Best Month of Your Life