The island of Santorini is a popular destination on any itinerary to Greece.
Santorini’s dramatic cliffs, spectacular caldera, and charming towns of Fira and Oia make it one of the most beautiful islands in Greece. The sunsets are legendary.
The island’s popularity does, however, come at a cost – the crowds! Numerous cruise ships (from February to December) and daily flights carry thousands of tourists to the island. Despite the crowds, Santorini is a must see island.
Suggestions of what to see and do on Santorini:
- Explore the charming streets of Fira, the capital of Santorini – a great place for shopping and eating. Take in the panoramic views of the Caldera.
- Visit upmarket Oia known for its amazing views of the caldera, iconic, blue-domed churches, sunsets, boutiques, and excellent restaurants. We drove to Oia where parking is difficult to find however an excellent place to park is Oia Parking, Oia 847 02, Greece, tel +30 2286 028789, open 24/7 (look for the sign as you enter Oia – right-hand side of road). We can recommend Skala Restaurant for a delicious meal in Oia.
- Take the spectacular walk from Fira to Firostefani to Oia – stunning views and picturesque, white-washed buildings along the way.
- Visit the wineries – there are many to choose from including Santo Wines, Venetsanos Winery and Estate Argyros.
- Visit the beach – while Santorini is not famous for its beaches we visited Perissa and Perivolos Beach (dark volcanic sand, beach chairs, lined with eating places). Kamari is another popular beach.
There is a wide range of accommodation to choose from on Santorini – from luxurious to backpackers. We stayed three nights at the reasonably priced and well-located Villa Rose, just a 5-minute walk to the shops and restaurants of Fira.
There are buses and taxis on the island however we hired a little car from Nomikos Rent-a-Car, which was a great way to explore the island.
To avoid the crowds, the best time to visit Santorini is in the shoulder season – from the end of April to early June, or from September to early November.
Santorini is strikingly beautiful and a must-see on your Greek islands’ itinerary.
Take a visual tour of our Greek Island itinerary.
The next island on our trip was Folegandros.
15-18 May 2023
Best Month of Your Life